Friday, October 10, 2008

Looking ahead

“But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:13-14 (NIV)

I came across this and it hit me hard. I am constantly looking at my past and judging myself on those actions. I have been told by many friends that I expect too much from myself. I don't really know why that is. I want good things for my life and for my family. I want to be a good mother, wife and friend. My neighbor and I have talked about this and she has told me more than once that i am doing a good job at all of those things. Why can't I see that myself?
I have thought about this long and hard. I think that because of the things that I perceive as "bad" I overlook the good things. I am a good mother, can I be better? We all can be better. Am I a good wife? My man adores me and loves me, I can always do more things for him to feel good about himself and our marriage - but that is a daily thing that grows. It is not going to be "perfect" all of the time. I am a good friend, I help out, listen, and interact with them. Could I do more, sure I could, but within reason!
Why are we so hard on ourselves? I think I need to look at who I am and little by little work on one aspect that maybe could be better. I am not "bad" at being a mom, wife or friend.
This goes along with my time with God. I think that if I would focus on smaller things to improve I would have larger results!
Any thoughts?
Love;
Amy

No comments: